Standing on the peaceful banks of the beautiful River Wye, Hereford Cathedral occupies a site on which cathedral buildings have stood since Saxon times.
The present building contains some of the finest examples of architectural excellence from Norman times up to the present day, including the beautifully restored Shrine of St. Thomas of Hereford in the North Transept, the exquisite Early English Lady Chapel and the ' high-tech Medieval ' New Library Building completed in 1996.
Hereford Cathedral's medieval Mappa Mundi and Chained library two of Britain's most important historical treasures are now exhibited together in the award winning New Library Building (designed by Whitfield Partners and funded by a generous gift from Mr John Paul Getty Jr.) at the West end of Hereford Cathedral. Here the Chained Library can be seen together in its original glory for the first time in 150 years. The exhibition is open all year round.
Daily - Summer Mon to Sat 10am to 4.15pm. Winter Mon to Sat 11am to 3.15pm.
The world's largest chained library 1500 rare books 2. Working stonemasons yard.
|No Image Available
Hereford Cathedral, 5 College Cloisters, Cathedral Close, Hereford HR1 2NG
t - 01432 374200
Berrington Hall was built for Thomas Harley, the son of the 3rd Earl of Oxford. He made a fortune supplying pay and clothing to the British Army in America and became Lord Mayor of London in 1767 at the age of 37.
Harley acquired the Berrington estate in 1775 and immediately commissioned 'Capability' Brown to work on the grounds. Brown took advantage of the panoramic situation of the estate and created a beautiful parkland with a artificial lake and island. The house was built between 1778 - 1781 on a site advised by Brown. The house was designed by Brown's son-in-law, the fashionable architect Henry Holland, who created Carlton House for the Prince Regent.
Harley's daughter, who inherited the estate, was married to the 2nd Lord Rodney, son of Admiral Rodney. The Rodney family continued at Berrington Hall until 1900 when the estate was sold to Frederick Cawley, later Lord Cawley. Lady Cawley's room displays a photograph of the 1st Lord Cawley and his four sons on horseback in front of the house. A few years later three of their sons were killed in the First World War.
In 1957 Berrington Hall was accepted by the Treasury in payment of death duty and transferred to the National Trust with some of the contents.
Berrington Hall, Leominster, HR6 0DW
Opening times vary, phone for details
Tel: 01568 615721
Fairytale Georgian castle dramatically situated in Malvern Hills and surrounded by deer park, lake and famous arboretum. Richly decorated Gothic and Italianate interiors with Medieval Armour. Children's playground, garden centre and maze, special events programme. Eastnor Castle is also a popular venue for corporate private entertainment with luxury overnight accommodation.
Months Opening: Sundays and BH Mondays from Easter - 1st weekend in Oct
Every day in July & Aug except Saturdays
11am - 5pm (last admission 4.30pm)
Admission Price: Adults: £7
Senior Citizens: £6 Children: £4
Family Ticket (2 adults, 3 children): £18
|No Image Available
Croft Castle is now a lavish country mansion but it started life as a Norman stronghold on the border of Wales. The original castle at this site was an earthern ringwork and has been shown by recent excavation to have been similar to Stokesay Castle. A circular ditch surrounded a curving earthern bank which was topped by a palisade of stout timbers. There were timber buildings within the enclosed area and the ramparts may have been strengthened by the addition of wooden watchtowers.
A larger stone castle was built to replace the earth and timber castle around 1400 AD. The castle was involved in the battle of Mortimer's Cross in 1461 when Sir Richard Croft set forth from it with his soldiers towards the battleground a few miles away. A decendent of Sir Richard fought for King Charles at Stokesay in the 1640's during the English civil war and, following the eventual Royalist defeat, Croft Castle was slighted to render it incapable of further military service.
Restoration took place later in the 17th century when the castle was converted into a mansion but the Croft family sold the castle in 1746 due to financial presures.
The Crofts repurchased their ancestral home in 1923 and Croft Castle is currently maintained for public viewing by The National Trust. It contains rare furniture from the 17th to 19th centuries and has impressive plasterwork and gardens.
Leominster HR6 9PW
Tel: 01568 780246
| Hampton Court Gardens
Hampton Court Estate is owned by Sola Scriptura, an American non-profit organisation funded by the Van Kampen family.
Hampton Court, Herefordshire is a castle on the meadows of the river Lugg, backed by a steep wooded escarpment and surrounded by woodland and grounds of 1,000 acres. Founded by King Henry in the early 15th century the castle has been completely restored.
The Van Kampen Gardens at Hampton Court are spectacular and although a recent development, are now receiving national recognition. The gardens are open to the public.
Original Victorian garden walls enclose stunning new flower gardens divided by canals, island pavilions and pleached avenues. The kitchen garden is an ornamental garden of fruit and vegetables. It is managed organically, supplying produce to the Orangery Restaurant adjoining the castle, which is situated in a grand conservatory designed by Joseph Paxtonfor.
There is a maze of a thousand yews with a gothic tower at its centre. Climb to the top for a panoramic view of the gardens or descend underground to a tunnel that leads to a waterfall in the sunken garden. Beautiful herbaceous borders stretch out from a one hundred and fifty year old wisteria tunnel that leads to vast lawns and ancient trees beside the castle. Beyond the lawns are riverside and woodland walks.
Hampton Court Gardens
Hope under Dinmore
Leominster, HR6 0PN
From March 25th - October 30th 2005,
Tues, Weds, Thurs and weekends 11am-5pm (last admission 4pm)
Tel: 01568 797 777
|Places to eat
The Wellington is an award-winning country pub and restaurant, situated in the village of Wellington, in the heart of the beautiful Herefordshire countryside.
In the restaurant you'll find daily changing lunch and dinner menus using the best local and seasonal produce. In the bar you can sit by the open fire and enjoy a pint of real ale or a glass of wine, and enjoy a light meal from our bar menu. In the summer, enjoy the sunshine in our attractive garden. All in all, it's a great place to meet, eat and drink.
The Wellington is run and owned by Ross and Philippa Williams who moved from London with their young family and bought The Wellington in the summer of 2002. Self-confessed foodies, the pair set out to transform The Wellington into the county's finest dining pub.
Chef Chris Potts joined Ross in the kitchen in the summer of 2003. Chris is one of Herefordshire's most talented young chefs, having previously worked at The Three Crowns in Ullingswick, as well as the Michelin-starred The Windmill Hotel and most recently Stock, recognised as Manchester's best Italian restaurant.
To book a table in the restaurant, please call us on 01432 830367.
Three Crowns Inn
Located in rural Herefordshire the Three Crowns Inn offers the perfect place to escape and enjoy high quality award winning food amidst beautiful surroundings.
The family run pub endeavours to source the finest local produce to create dishes rustic in origin but refined in execution.
Three Crowns Inn, Ullingswick, Herefordshire, HR1 3JQ
To book a table in the restaurant, please call us on 01432 820279.
Website: Three Crowns Inn
| England's Gate Inn
England's Gate Inn in Bodenham Herefordshire is a 16th Century pub serving real
ales, good pub food and offers a warm welcome to locals and visitors. England's Gate Inn is the perfect place if you wish to visit a pub and restaurant in Bodenham Herefordshire.
England's Gate Inn's restaurant provides the charm and comfort of a local village pub, serving good food and ales with roaring log fires in the winter and a picturesque garden in the finer weather.
Food is served from 12.00 noon to 2.30pm lunchtime and 6.00pm to 9.30 pm in the evening, weekdays and Saturdays. Traditional Sunday Lunch is also available from 12.00 noon to 2.30pm.
The chefs use local produce where possible and we stock wine form the local vineyard and a variety of real ales from local breweries.
To book a table in the restaurant, please call us on 01568 797286.